Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dining Diva Review: India's Oven--Authentic Indian Food in the Heartland!


My first experience with Indian Food was when I was living in Tokyo, Japan. My neighbor who lived across the hall was Indian and liked to cook. Every day when I came home, the aromas wafting under the door filled the hall with the promise of exquisitely delicious dishes on the other side of that door. When I finally mustered the courage to knock, a gracious Indian lady of about my age answer the door and invited me in. She laughed when I begged for a taste of whatever she was cooking, and inviting me to join her cooking classes which were held every Wednesday. I learn to cook many Indian dishes under her tutelage and developed an appreciation for the cuisine. My husband took me to India's Oven as a surprise and the food was absolutely outstanding. I had the Butter Chicken, complete with Na'an bread, basmati rice and my husband had the chicken curry both of which were excellent. The bread was perfect, straight from the clay oven, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. It was perfect for scooping up the butter chicken and wiping the dish clean of any sauce left behind. The basmati rice was fluffy and flavorful -sweet with cardamom and clove and the perfect counterpoint to the spicy sauce. The service was good but not a memorable service experience. They were courteous, prompt and efficient but not overly helpful or attentive. My husband had his first the Singha beer and pronounced it tasty and the perfect accompaniment to the spicy food. His only complaint was that he tasted the food most of the night, and I have to admit that Indian Food will repeat like that, but it's the price you pay for the delicious food. We were too full to consider dessert but we plan a repeat visit in the very near future!

Food 4 stars
Service 3 stars

No comments: