Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dining Diva Review: The World's Best Barbecue--Troy's Ribs Boynton Beach, Florida


The best ribs I have found in the world have been at Troy's BBQ in Boynton Beach. I've been a BBQ Ho for my entire life and have eaten Q all over the USA and the world and I have yet to find a better rib joint than the little take-out shack at NE 10th and Federal Highway (US 1) in Boynton Beach, Florida. There's no point in reviewing ambience or service because there isn't any--it's a takeout window in a 600 square foot building so close to the railroad tracks that you can't hear a thing when the train goes by. Troy is only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays and you better get there early because when it's gone you are SOL until the next batch comes out of the smoker--and that takes at least 18 hours. The limited menu features ribs, chicken, beef and pork along with a sweet potato pie that is a really excellent rendition of a humble dish.

Troy uses a secret spice rub and then gently smokes the ribs for hours over a wood mix that leaves them incredibly delicious and shake-the-meat-off-the-bone tender. He has a house BBQ that is good, but I rarely use it--those amazing ribs don't need it!! It's a sweet mustard based sauce that is very similar to Blue Front BBQ Sauce and it's good, but the flavor of BBQ is in the meat, not in the sauce. Call ahead for large orders. He also does catering and I have served his ribs at countless parties where my guest ate every single rib and raved about them. Tell him the limo lady sent you, he'll know! I wish I could talk him into franchising so I could get a franchise here in Illinois!! I used to live 15 minutes from there and now I live in Virginia and every time I come to visit, I bring back 50 pounds of ribs as carry-on luggage to sustain me until my next Florida visit. If there is a heaven, then Troy certainly will have the rib concession because between here and heaven there are no better ribs to be had for love or money, and I am sure that angels will line up for his BBQ! His fame has spread nationwide--I mentioned him to the owner of Pappy's Smokehouse and he has also heard of Troy's Ribs. I'd never live in Florida again, but I sure do miss Troy's ribs--they are one of two places in Florida that I never fail to visit when I am home for a visit with my family!

No comments: