Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dining Diva Review: McCafe at the National Air and Space Museum Dulles Airport Washington DC


While at the Air and Space museum out by Dulles airport, there was a regular McDonalds and the new concept McCafe where they have sweets and coffee in a Starbucks type of ambience in an effort to compete with them. This is their latest trend although it would be a lot more successful if they didn't clip you for $2.99 for internet access at the cafe. The prices at the regular McDonalds were exorbitant while the McCafe prices were quite reasonable so I opted to try the Caramel Fudge Cheesecake that was a paltry 2.99 for a generous slice of fudge-bottomed caramel and nut topped cheesecake in a divine buttery graham cracker crust. I didn’t have high expectations, it was McDonald’s after all and I only chose the cheesecake because I wouldn’t pay 5.99 for a Big Mac if I were starving to death. The cheesecake was better than I could have hoped for in my wildest dreams. The ½ inch of fudge at the bottom was divine when eaten with the buttery crispy crust, it was the texture of chocolate velvet--smooth, sweet and creamy. I slowly ate the bottom in small bites, savoring every moment of the experience--eyes closed, rolling it over my tongue letting the sweet, rich fudge soften before swallowing it--it was THAT good. Not to be outdone, the caramel sauce and nuts over the top half of plain cheesecake was just as good--buttery sweet, calorific and incredibly rich with the sweet caramel and crunchy pecans adding interesting texture to the velvet goodness of the top half of this amazing treat. This was the first McCafe I’ve ever visited, but it was every bit as nice as a Starbucks visit for about 40% less money and I highly recommend that you visit one as soon as possible--I’ll be the really FAT woman in the corner sucking down the caramel fudge cheesecake!

No comments: